2016. december 31., szombat

How sex positive must I be?

I'm a 34 year-old gay man living in a fairly progressive city, Austin, Texas. Lately, a few friends have accused me of not being sex-positive, which, evidently is now required of all enlightened gay men. Personally, I'm no prude. I've fucked around a lot, I love a good orgy, and there are jockstraps, singlets, and harnesses falling out of my closet. That said, I think sex and sexiness have their place. I also lead activities and am somewhat prominent in our gay community, and I think it needs to be safe and inclusive for EVERYONE including gay families with kids (who should not be hidden from the concept of sexuality, but there are limits here...).Here are three scenarios I've encountered lately and been chided by other gay men for not being sex-positive. I wonder what people think overall, or about each one.Pride Floats - I'm really not for anyone getting super sexy on Pride floats. It's one thing to wear a Speedo. It's another to wear leather gear and be bumping and grinding. Sure, that's great for the club or a party, but this is a way the general public celebrates our community. We reinforce stereotypes of gays as hypersexual beings with this stuff, and it makes it hard to welcome gay families with young children. I say save it for the club after the parade.Oversexed Social Media - I've now had two guys friend me who basically fill their social media with near daily shirtless pics of themselves, or worse, coy "What, am I half naked in that pic, whoops?" sort of pics. I find that just sex-obsessed and gross. Have some tact and respect for yourself. You're more than abs and pecs. I've unfriended these guys, even though I see them personally at things in our town.Sex and Community - I lead a fundraising sports team focused on HIV/AIDS funding. We participate in an annual HIV/AIDS fundraising event that is not gay-centric. I recently found out that someone connected our team's Instagram to some daily "hot guy" feed and sexualzed (but not NSFW) pics are showing up all the time. To me, this is TOTALLY irrelevant, and it reinforces the idea that gay mane are sex-crazed. My friends say it's important to create a sex-positive environment, there for these pictures of hot men are critical to our feed and attracting men to our group.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése