2016. december 31., szombat

Holidays and elderly Asian relatives

Not really a rant but just kind of a get-this-off-my-chest post.26 year old Asian-American gay man here. My immediate family and I are located on the east coast, but my mom's side of the family are all over on the west. The last time we visited them was close to a decade ago. At that time, I wasn't out yet and was not in a relationship. Now I'm engaged to be married to a man. I'm out to my parents, siblings, cousins, and friends (all very supportive) but it's been sort of hush hush among my aunts and uncles. To my knowledge, I'm the only gay member of both my immediate and extended family.In any case, it's been quite an interesting and honestly humorous experience this past week. A lot of the family we visited were great aunts and uncles in their 70-80s. They're all very impressed that I'm a couple months away from being a doctor, and, naturally, the next question they have is if I have a girlfriend. I must have smiled and politely said "no" about twenty times this trip. Whenever my parents are around, there's always an awkward silence followed by a desperate attempt to quickly change the subject. On one occasion, someone asked my parents if I had a girlfriend, to which they replied that I have a "person (used a gender neutral Vietnamese term)." I honestly was laughing my ass off on the inside. Without fail, every visit ended with a hug from a great aunt or the like with a comment along the lines of "come back when you have a wife!"Oh, old Asian people... I doubt anything terrible would have happened if I told them, but in the back of my mind I just feel like it was something I needed to share. I just didn't have the heart to rock the boat this holiday season. Maybe in a couple years on their death beds...Please share your experiences. Curious especially to hear from people coming from similar cultures...

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése