2014. december 22., hétfő

TIFU by condemning my best friend's life choices


(Throwaway, obviously)


Backstory: I'm 30 and living the other side of the world from "home". Acquaintances are many, friends are few. I've been spending more and more time with M, one of the most wonderful people I've ever met. M is single, gay and plans to raise children by herself in the near future.


Having already been invited to spend Xmas with M and her family, on Saturday I went to a party held by one of M's friends. I drank all day, she was driving and so did not. On the drive home (and I had to be reminded of this after the event), the conversation turned to M's plans for children and I mentioned my reservations about this being the best way to go about starting a family.


Here's the thing: the way I said it is not my opinion at all. At best, I would want her to think about things carefully, and would suggest that having a solid partner/career first might be the best way forward. But I'm absolutely on board with her decision (she's a super-intelligent woman and I trust her explicitly). Apparently, the way I phrased it included words like "unconventional" and "a bad idea", and I came across like a narrow-minded tool.


Now, this isn't about the politics or rights and wrongs of her decision. I'm now in the situation where, despite her being patient with me, I'm uninvited from Xmas as she doesn't want me causing a scene like that around her family. She's one of my only friends in the world, and I've alienated her to the point where she thinks what I said at that time was "the real me" and the rest of the time I've been holding back.


So yeah, sorry this isn't a story about sending an email to the wrong person by mistake or pooping myself in public. It's just a cathartic means of dealing with what I have to live with; an incredibly important friendship, now held together by a thread because of a conversation I don't even remember having, and don't agree with.


TL;DR: I got drunk, I said things I don't remember and don't mean, my best friend now sees me totally differently.



Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése