2016. augusztus 31., szerda

How to deal with parents of the "being gay is normal, so don't make a big deal out of it" variety of homophobia.

Literally yesterday I was watching a TV programme with my family which featured two women kissing in a non-platonic manner. My immediate response was "Yay!" and an excited clap, because naturally I love it whenever I see LGBT+ romance featured in mainstream TV (by mainstream I mean programming that doesn't exclusively revolve around LGBT+ people).My parents responded by basically saying that I shouldn't have clapped, because it seemed over the top and a strange reaction to what is considered 'normal' for them, and that by reacting like that I was "making a big deal out of it".I think what they were trying to say was that because being gay should be viewed as equal and not unusual or rare etc, a gay kiss shouldn't be treated or reacted to any differently than a straight one, because both are 'normal' things to happen, and by "making a big deal out of it", I was trying to suggest that it is something to be seen as unusual or different etc.I tried to explain to them that they can't, as straight people, moderate how a LGBT+ person reacts to seeing another LGBT+ person or LGBT+ romance on screen, as it is akin to when people say "don't be too gay" or "don't shove it in my face", etc., basically implying that they don't approve of it.Whilst they claim they are supportive, and, yes, this is probably the only type of problematic behaviour I have to deal with from them, I don't think it's acceptable to essentially tell me to not openly celebrate my own community.Anyway, I'd like to see what you all think of this and how you'd respond and if you have any advice.My current thought process is, if I don't speak up and tell them this made me uncomfortable, they will never learn or improve, and if they support me as they claim to, they should also support me responding excitedly to seeing people like me on TV.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése