2015. augusztus 18., kedd

My homophobic dad, everyone. (Warning: Long Post)

Hey, I'm usually more of a frequenter of the r/atheism subreddit, but I felt this post might belong better here. Long story short before the really long story is that I grew up in a Pentecostal family. I came out to my dad as gay when I was fourteen. I moved out of the house, when I was eighteen, started to question my religion, and became atheist when I was nineteen. When I was twenty, I decided to be openly gay and also come out to my parents as atheist, and I posted the story last year on r/atheism: (http://ift.tt/1Pj9NZN).My dad found a better-paying job in the city where I live, and we ended up as roommates in order for both of us to save on rent as I don't yet have the means to afford my own place. It was going well for a while, especially as we usually avoided the topic of religion. The day he moved in, he asked me if there was any resentment I still had toward him. I told him that if we were ever to discuss religion, the issue of homosexuality would be off limits for discussion. I had a hell of a time struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts due to my sexuality conflicting with Christianity back when I was a preteen, and my coming out occured directly after a suicide attempt. I had another bout of depression in my late teens before I deconverted, and to this day my blood still boils whenever the topic of homosexuality comes up in a Christian context.A few months later, he found a cheaper place for the two of us to rent, but instead of having the new landlord check references for both of us so that we could each pay our halves of the rent separately, he had the landlord only check his references. My dad plans to rent the place under his own name and have me pay my half to him. Now I understand why. He sat me down to have a talk last night, saying that we need to lay down some ground rules. He said that I am not allowed to bring guys home, and if he finds out that I do, he will kick me out. He made the same rule last year at his own house, which he can do because he owns it, but this is different because our landlord owns the place, and has no problems with overnight visitors. We even brought a pull-out couch into the place so that my siblings can stay with us if they want to come visit. I would be lying if I said I was surprised he would do something like that. And then, we had another religious debate that lasted for hours, which ended as it usually does with us regurgitating the same arguments ad nauseam and often resembling shouting matches more than debates. There isn't much to note about it aside from the fact that I found it even more difficult than usual to keep my cool since he brought the topic of homosexuality to the table.I can see why any parent may have reservations about their child having sex in the same house, but I wanted to pick his brain. I asked him to explain his reasoning for his rule, and he told me that he didn't want to give the impression that he's participating in or condoning my "lifestyle" and that I had to respect where he was coming from. I explained that it's not fair because we're not banging loudly at unreasonable hours, and we're not asking him to "participate" by asking him to join us (Eww). I don't say anything when he blasts Christian rock on the radio on the drive back home. (My mom and siblings live a two-hour drive away, and I often go home with him on the weekends when I'm free. I go to church with them but they all know that I turn around once I see the sanctuary doors and wander around town until they're done.) I don't see why I should give any respect when he clearly doesn't respect me or my identity.He also told me that I am headed down a dark path. He kept bringing up these statistics about how Men Who Have Sex With Men, or MSM, are more likely to contract STIs and are more at risk for depression and suicide (He also won't even utter the word "gay" for some reason, and whenever he's referring to my sexuality, he calls it "same-sex attraction" or "lifestyle" or something along those lines, which I find demeaning. Back when I came out, he wouldn't even let me use the word "gay" on myself.) He said that it would break his heart to see me fully embracing that "lifestyle" and he sincerely believes that I would end up in a really bad place if I started having sex. (Spoiler Alert: I didn't. I've been having sex for a while, and if anything I feel even less depressed and suicidal than back when I was part of a religion that taught me to hate myself and my body and that there was something fundamentally wrong with me.) I told him that we should look at what sociological factors are at play, and I said that maybe the reason why so many gay men are suffering from depression is because of a toxic culture and because of people like him telling them there's something wrong with them, but he was having none of that.There's this guy I've been seeing recently and, like all my past romantic interactions, I deliberately didn't tell my parents because I knew it wouldn't be worth talking about and because I knew what they were going to say. Well, my dad said, "I could sense that you're getting into a relationship that you shouldn't be getting into." I wanted to pick his brain a little bit. I said, "So you've never met him, and you're already saying that I shouldn't be getting into a relationship with him?" He told me yes. I asked him what if the person I'm getting into a relationship with were a woman, and he said he would change his tune. He said that the Scripture is very clear on what it says. I then asked him, hypothetically, if he would ever attend my wedding if I were to marry a man. He said no, "because I wouldn't want to give the impression that I'm okay with this and that I'm supporting gay rights" but if I were to marry a woman, he would again change his tune. I got pissed at this point, and said, "See? This is why I never tell you or Mom anything!" He brought up all these testimonies of men who chose to remain chaste and ex-gay men who were able to overcome their "same-sex attraction" and marry women and have children and live a "normal" life, and he told me that I could do it too, with God's help.I was fed up at this point, and then he said he hoped that we could have an intelligent discussion some day without emotionalism. I was in, like, heart-pounding "fuck you" mode again, and, like the last time he said this, I told him that he had no right to say that, that I was right to be angry about my upbringing, that if he could experience first-hand the kind of shit I went through growing up, being told everyday that there was something wrong with me, he would understand why I'm so hostile to the Christian narrative. It was clear that seven years after coming out as gay, nothing had changed, except now that I was older, wiser, stronger, and no longer buying into the oppressive belief system that tells me I'm less than human and that I need to "pray the gay away." My dad made it clear that he's not moving on this issue. It was in that moment I "wished I could open my veins and drain his cursed blood from my body" as Khaled Hosseini puts it. I was so tempted to say, "When this is all over, when I can afford to stand on my own two feet, you and I are finished." But, however unwisely, I held my tongue.I don't know how this story is supposed to continue. I don't even know why I'm sharing this, but I guess it helps to get it off my chest. I also guess it goes without saying that I'll have to find somewhere else to live. I've been browsing housing ads all day, trying to find a place that I can afford, but I haven't had much luck. Still, I'll take living with strangers for a year over sleeping next door to him.TL;DR: Homophobic asshole dad is still a homophobic asshole seven years after I came out.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése