2015. augusztus 31., hétfő

Just came out to the parents... I don't know what to do after their extremely awkward and hurtful response

I have always thought that I was kind of interested in guys, but I never really knew how to deal with it... Until now. I just turned 25, and started telling my close friends that I am gay a couple of months ago. I wanted to tell my parents at some time during my time visiting them this summer and I finally did tonight. My dad's first response was a very disappointed sounding "... What...?". Once I explained everything to them, my dad's next response was "Well, I think you're wrong". My mom told me that on behalf of her and dad that they support me and love me, but I could tell dad was not 100% in agreement and mom was also afraid of being too supportive during my dad's ignorant reaction. For the rest of the night, we stayed home and they never said another word to me all night. I could tell my mom was trying to think of something to say to me but she didn't say anything. I'm now in bed trying to figure out how to deal with this moving forward...I was raised in a very conservative and christian household and my parents still attend that same church today. I have a gay cousin who came to my sister's wedding last year with her girlfriend and my family was supportive of them attending. With this in mind, I didn't think that my parents would reacted to my coming out in this way, but unfortunately it looks like this is going to affect my relationship with them for the next foreseeable future.I'm just wondering if there's anybody else who has gone through this sort of thing before and how you handled it. One on hand, I want to tell my dad that I was hurt by the fact that he thinks I'm wrong about my sexuality. But that would lead to a whole other argument which wouldn't help solve the problem at all. On the other hand, I want to try and be as calm and reasonable as possible about it, but that won't allow me to tell them what I really think, which is that I am who I am and that sexuality isn't a choice and I want them to accept me for me.Any tips?

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése