2017. augusztus 3., csütörtök

Discrimination in the North

(tl;dr) We're losing our foster kids because of our sexual orientation.Hey everyone. I've been living in Northern Ontario for roughly 3 years. During this time, there was some getting used to being in a small town, and it's relationship with the nearby First Nation's reserve. No big problem there. There's also a foster care agency that my partner introduced me to. He was quite surprised when we met, as I didn't run off at the sight of him having kids. They were great. We had a short-to-long term placement child in our home, and I became quite attached to him. Someone to play video games with.Part 1:The agency has little to no actual control. The parents (and chief & council) do. Our foster son went home for a 'family visit', and stayed home. This was during Christmas. We bought him gifts, and we're excited to have him with us. But no.My partner and I spent a year off from fostering. He was fairly used to this kind of thing, but I wasn't. It was tough.A year goes by, and we're (I'm) finally able to give it another go. We take in a teen, but he was a rebel, and ultimately we couldn't keep him around. He would be signed out of care in a couple weeks anyway. Ah well, one bad seed isn't going to discourage us. After some time, we hear of two brothers who needed a home. We obliged. They turned out to be two of the best children we could hope to take into our care. Just came from a neglecting family.Weve had them for a few months now, and again, I've grown attached to them. I set up a gaming room in the basement so they could play Minecraft whenever. We also arranged to get them each a bike, and they use them every day.Part 2:Still an in progress event, but the parents found out we were a gay home, and demanded the kids be taken out. I was informed yesterday. The child care workers are coming today to tell us more. They'll likely be gone before the end of the month.It's not as much the agency's fault, but I don't exempt them from blame either. The parents of these kids seem to get final say on their 'wellbeing', regardless of the fact that they abuse these kids, neglect these kids, and are just plain unfit to be parents. Wasn't their a reason they were put into foster care in the first place?Since when did sexual orientation have anything to do with raising a family?

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése