2017. augusztus 30., szerda

App to help/rescue kids from fundamentalist families?

I'm a mobile app developer and ever since the election I've been thinking that I need to start doing more to help people/society. I love my job but there's no great societal benefit to it, it's purely economic. So I've been keeping my eyes peeled for something more meaningful.I was listening to this episode of the moth and Jon Jay Read's story got me thinking about LBGTQ kids growing up in fundamentalist families or regions and the special kind of ignorant bullshit they must deal with every day.That started me looking at what kind of services are available to help these kids. I found out that while 5 - 7% of kids nationwide identify as LGBTQ, somewhere between 9 - 45% of homeless youth are LGBT, mostly due to being thrown out by their parents.I'm a straight male, not very in touch with the LGBTQ community and (thankfully) not at all involved with the fundamentalist community. Are there apps/websites available to help kids in these situations? Is there a certain type of app that would benefit these kids? I'm thinking something that can help connect them to services or people that can remove them from abusive situations and help them get started on a new path surrounded by people who love and accept them for who they are.Is this something worth pursuing? Any techies, lawyers, community organizers want to talk more about it?

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése