2016. február 28., vasárnap

Do homophobic family and relatives ever come around?

This post is going to be long, so heads up.First things first, I'm an open gay guy, an Asian from an Asian country.I was outed by my parents on my first date (I was told by my dad I might need a psychiatrist, OUCH!) and then I was like yolo so I came out to my friends, a simplified version of my coming out story. But after my parents outed me, we fought for a few days after that, then we never talked about it for awhile and my parents just thought I was "cured" or I simply "changed back" to being straight. One day, like after 2 years after the incident, I was talking with my mom about love thingy, like I had a crush on this person and all sort of things, I was asking like should I tell the person about my feelings. And yes, I was being vague about the gender. Then after all the talking she said I should tell him, at that point she still thought the person I meant was a girl and she wanted to see "her" picture. So I gathered up my courage and show my mom his picture instead, the moment her eyes landed on my phone screen, her face turned sad and disappointed, and of course mine too. I tried to keep it positive and told her being gay is actually normal and nothing is wrong with it. But she keeps saying this is a bad thing or a sin/karma thingy (she is a devoted Buddhist), I could see her eyes were getting wet and then my dad came into the room and broke the awkwardness. He didn't know what we were talking about, I told my mom not to tell him before he came in which I hope she kept the promise. But that's the another stronger yet sad reason I know my parents may never accept me of being gay. So, since that day, things were back to just like what happened before, my parents pretend I'm straight and we never talk about me being gay anymore and my parents would always say I would find a nice girl to marry and start a happy family with kids of our own, it's like they are trying to brainwash me. Then like a year after, which is today, I was talking with my mom over the phone. My mom and I, we are like best friends, we talk pretty much everything except you know what. Then I don't know how, the topic went to my younger brother acting a little bit feminine and my mom's like she is afraid my brother is gonna be gay someday, so she talked some sense into my brother and he acts a little less feminine now, she relieved. Afterward she said, my female cousin was acting like a boy, you know, short hair, never wears skirt, playing basketball, my aunt is really worried she is gonna be a lesbian, so my aunt scolded her and told her she would disown my cousin if she ever turns out to be a lesbian.My heart just sank as soon as I heard what my mom said. My mind wondered as I was so, confused, overwhelmed, I don't know, it's just I felt so bad. Hearing my mom saying that is like there is this part of my life that my parents are just not going to be there and they would never want to be there for me. With what I said on top, my parents are the conservatives, and worst of all we are of an Asian family and I am the oldest son. Some of you may not know but being the oldest son bears the pressure from the whole family, like you know when you name your kid, the kid takes on the father's last name. The last name passing on to the next generation is a VERY BIG and IMPORTANT thing for the Asian culture (Chinese in particular), especially from the eldest son. Which, fortunately or unfortunately? I don't know. I certainly do not see it that way. And for my parents, or my whole family, having kids means the business between the husband and wife, even though either of the parents is infertile due to various reasons, searching help from doctors to have IVF or to have surrogate mother, is looked as very unnecessary and not natural. So don't even mention adopting a child, it is like a bad omen, adopted kids would always be different cause your blood doesn't run in their veins. So yeah, being gay, for my parents is nothing but disgrace. Another reason I think my parents don't accept me of being gay, it's because they're afraid people around would look at them like a freak, like because you have a gay kid, you are bad parents, you gave birth to an abomination of human. I don't really know how to elaborate more in words but having a gay kid is just very very very very very bad for them. I really hope my parents could come around someday but I'm just afraid it's never gonna happen in this life time.So I just wanna know is there anyone with similar experience but their parents just eventually accept it? Or if they don't what did you do or what would you do? I could really use some advice/ opinions. Thanks.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése