2016. február 23., kedd

The Battle

Story Time:I've been in the process of figuring out how to propose to my boyfriend, like all the details, how, when, where, what exactly I'll say, who (if anyone) will be there? Finally, I think (and hope) I have everything planned how I want it to go, so it's time to tell the other important people in my life:Mom, Dad, Step-Mom. It's a beautiful terrible moment when they all have different reactions and here they are in the order I told them.Mom, 2/2/2016 7:25 PM... Mom:"Zach, is everything okay?" Zach:"Yeah, I'm going to propose to Michael!" Mom:"Why? Are you sure?"And that's where this story will end because this is where the pain began. My mom and I have ALWAYS been close, but July 4, 2015 I confirmed her suspicion that I was gay and we started to separate. She's never been supportive of my relationship, but she's also never been so... I don't know a word? Rude, callous, disdainful, unhappy? And I'd never been so hurt. Mom is "worried" about me because of what the Bible says about being gay. I was hurt because not once in our conversation did she say congratulations, she didn't say I'm happy for you; the most positive thing she said was "Well, I guess you're happy." Thanks for the statement, Mom. 0/1 parents in support and a car ride of ugly crying.Step-Mom, 2/2/2016 10:47 PM... Zach:"I have something to tell you..." StepM:"Oh no, are you okay? Is Michael okay?" Zach:"I'm going to propose." StepM:"What? That's exciting! When?" Zach:"Date"We talked for probably close to an hour; it was great. She was VERY adamant that we not have kids immediately and enjoy being married first. I support that decision. Compared to my mom, it was a vastly different conversation! I could feel her hesitation, but she's always supported my relationship with Michael. When I "came out" (she already knew) she said, "I don't care who you date as long as they treat you right." And so here we are, a planned proposal and 1/2 parents that I know will be at the wedding.Dad, 2/3/2016 7:26 AM... Dad:"Alright, son, I'm heading out. Love you, when am I seeing you again?" Zach:"Oh! Dad wait, I have to tell you something!" Dad:"Oh, Lord..." Zach:"I'm going to propose to Michael Date!" Dad:"... Congratulations son!"Not going to lie, this is the proudest moment I've ever shared with my dad. He and I have always had a rough relationship, I've been preparing to lose him as someone in my life since I was 11 because he cheated on my mom, future step-mom, and current "step-mom" (StepM isn't my Step Mom any longer). But, I always forgave him because I loved him and I didn't want to lose him. It was this moment that I realized he's the parent that's going to stick with me forever; I've been preparing to lose the wrong person for half of my life. It was a wonderful feeling when he said "congratulations" I immediately cried and hugged him. I let out a blubbering "Thank you" and proceeded to Kim K cry and he made things better by saying, "You don't have to thank me, I'm your father."So now I'm at 2/3 parents, a lot of joy, and a proposal to perfect.Moral of the story: Don't let anyone dictate who you love or how you love them. If someone is meant to be in your life, they'll find a way to stay there and if they're not, prepare for the goodbye.UPDATE: He said yes! We got engaged 2/11/15 and it is the best moment of my life up to that point!

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése