2017. június 10., szombat

Ignorant straight people...

Sorry if this is off topic, I just got to rant about something.The other day I was talking to someone in my friend group, and he was telling me how gay people here don't have to go through anything because they live in San Francisco. I was like ok bud because I personally have been blessed with supportive friends and family so I can't speak much about instances of oppression I myself went through, but San Francisco isn't exactly the gay utopia people think.Yesterday, our group of friends was walking in the Castro (local gay district), and this guy was standing on the street saying Bible verses yelling about how gays were sinners, et cetera. I gave the finger, and then another guy walking down the street told me "Jesus saves." I mentioned to my friend that gay people have to go through shit that fundamentally straight people don't experience and gave that example.He was like "Wuuuh, when did I ever say anything about gay people, stop getting so defensive, et cetera." I can't count the number of guys I've talked to who were in the closet even in this city because of homophobic family, friends or community. I can't count the number of times I've been on Castro street and there's been some person spouting anti-gay rhetoric to piss people off (and it works). I've known people who were kicked out of their houses and disowned by family as teenagers because they were gay. I've known people who were bullied at school, et cetera, et cetera.I constantly have to watch who I tell. With young people it doesn't matter, everyone's basically accepting, but I always worry a person a little more traditional will react judgementally, negatively, or possibly even violently if I am telling someone I don't know well. For example, I grew up in a fucking Catholic school! I attend Mass sometimes to play the organ, but I would never tell the pastor or any parishioners, as friendly and liberal as they all are, for fear of religion based bigotry. When I was attending a Catholic high school, I knew no gay adults, no one dared to come out except me, and it was archdiocese policy that teachers could actually get fired if they "promoted" homosexuality in the classroom in any way. Obviously there was no GSA group for me to join.And that's just the tip of the iceberg because I'm fucking white. I don't think people understand how hard it is for gay people of color, particularly Latinos. Every person who has been kicked out of their house as a teenager I knew was Hispanic. When I am over at my Hispanic friends' houses and meet their parents, I am straight up petrified to say I'm gay because of the intense religiosity (which can be a good thing!) of their culture. When I was growing up, I had zero gay role models, even in television or other media.Also, straight people often don't realize that sometimes being gay is hard not because of homophobia, but because of the long process of acceptance one has to go through that straight people don't. It was hard to admit to myself I was gay. Because growing up, heterosexuality is the default so everyone is told they should be attracted to the opposite gender. So one goes through many phases of denial, experimentation, emotional turmoil, and finally acceptance as a young gay person.I really didn't go through that much. My life has been pretty easy actually, well as far as being gay has gone. But I come from an educated, liberal, middle class family. It's a lot different for other people in this city. Sick of people's shit sometimes. Just had to rant.EDIT: And that's not even to mention the shit trans people go through. Most young people here are accepting of gays, but you're considered a radical liberal if you are politically interested in protecting trans rights. Even my best friend was unsupportive of trans people and still has a shaky view on them.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése