2017. március 1., szerda

My mom decided to leave the Catholic church

A bit of back story, last year I came out as gay at the age of 23, my friends and family where all really supportive and to me it luckily was a pleasent experience. I come from a 'mixed' home where my dad was raised Protestant and my mom Catholic. My dad left his church when he was 18, at this point he had to decide wether to stay with the church or not. My mom however stayed Catholic so far. Before coming out we had talked about it occasionally but she said she would never leave even though never going to church.Currently it's election season in the Netherlands, general elections are March 15, because of this we are discussing politics quite a lot at the moment. Yesterday after visiting my grandma me and my mom where driving back home and the subject of religion in politics as well as the Catholic church came up. I voiced my opinion, mom voiced hers and we where discussing it until we arrived home.A few hours later, just before dinner my mom told me that she was looking into leaving her church, she had already found a standard letter which she was going to send soon. She told me that she did indeed not agree with the church's view on homosexuality and was therefore going to leave. It came totally unexpected to me, I had never expected that she would ever leave the church and it unexpectedly made me incredibly happy. I know my mom is supportive of LGBTI rights yet I never thought she'd leave her church for it.Just some happy rambling :)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése