2015. december 12., szombat

Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to post

So, I made this account just for this. I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place, but just wanted to share an experience.You can read more about me below, but, as I said, I just want to share. I'm sure this is nothing new, but I was really taken aback by how I was treated tonight (I've never written so much as a restaurant review, but I created an account to share this).I went to a local bar that I had not been to in some time. There were people there, but they were mostly in groups. The bar is definitely rural/white/country but trying not to be (trying to be a bit more restaurant, as opposed to bar). I've been to this place many times in the past, and know the workers (aka have a rapport) so I don't feel too bad being solo. Plus, I feel comfortable making conversation with new people.Anywho, I do talk to people. There's a band playing and I bust out my lack of dance moves, etc. etc.I'm not a "man's man" (I've been told), maybe even flamboyant... and I get a comment from a guy. I'm ordering a drink, make conversation "Hello", and he says, "You're invading in my space." Me: "Oh, sorry." Him: "Yeah, you're not welcome here. You should leave."Well, that was unexpected. I actually have a laugh about it. I think about it and then I realize, "Oh shit, he's thinks I'm gay, and it makes him really uncomfortable. This is awesome!" I enjoy when closed-minded people create there own prisons.He's a drunk (close-minded) local. Don't think much about it. I had had the luxury of not living in the town for a while. I tell one of the owner's about it, and she says to not worry about it. I do ask her outright, "Shit. Is this normal? Because that was awful." She shrugs it off. And we actually hang out together for the rest of the night.There were other slights after that, but I was mostly perplexed and fascinated. Fast-forward, and this is the reason for the post, it escalates to a point where each person in the bar tells me to leave (by the way I'm sober and just taking it all in). It was late, so about 12 people express this to me at that point.I look at the owner, who gives me a look like, "Fuck" because she has a guy's hand firmly on her shoulder. And then, the icing on the cake, a bartender, who I've known (and who had met my SO, btw), says, "Why don't you leave queer."My mouth dropped (at least in my mind it did)... because of the closed-mindedness.I left and actually sat outside to process it for a bit.It's instances like this that make me think of (and forgive me for the terrible reference) the candy commercial where they see Santa, and he says, "They do exist!"I feel so grateful to have lived in places where this isn't a thing and is mostly not an issue. I can't imagine the difficulty living in a town or city where this is all that you experience.I actually left hurt by the way I was treated. And it was for something that I was perceived to be.To be honest, it angered me. I wanted to have a call to arms: "Cometh all my gay friends, and if you are not gay, just act-eth gay, and we will invade-eth this hostile environment."Anyways...Be nice to each other. Be positive. And, shit... I really feel bad if you have to experience this daily, or live in a place where you have to hide for fear of this.I don't want to pose as something that I'm not. I'm not big on the "gay" and "straight" labels. There is such a large spectrum, and I happen to enjoy women more than men (I am a man). The only reason I say this is to not misrepresent myself or claim to know the difficulties in society that I can never know, as I'm posting in r/gay.Be kind.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése