2015. november 28., szombat

I see a lot of college age people like myself worrying about not finding guys or dating, so I thought I'd write what I've learned as someone in a similar situation.

Hi everybody,I thought I would make this post just to give a little encouragement/mutual understanding/advice to a common theme I see on this subreddit and in other LGBT communities online: worrying about finding guys and dating in college. This is a topic that I struggled with a lot my freshmen year of school, and that I struggle with a lot even today. However, I have learned a lot just from talking to older people who have gone through the same situation, and by thinking about the topic a lot myself (being a quiet, not super social guy I have plenty of time for that).The first thing I tend to see people worry about is whether or not they will ever find someone. A good majority of the people who post worrying about this are college age or in college, like me! Let me first start by saying: I get your pain. College is presented by a lot of people as being this golden opportunity for you to step away from high school, be out of the closet, and to meet guys. However, while the freedom of expressing your sexuality is nice, there often isn't a real "dating" vibe on campuses. Many of the guys who I've met in my school's already microscopic dating pool were only really interested in hookups to begin with. Additionally, the couples who do find a way generally don't hold together that long. This is pretty common, to my understanding, given many of my friends at other schools have commented on how short lived many of the relationships they see are. My point being, while college may seem like a gift at first, its successes can often be short lived. This isn't to say that successful relationships don't happen, but don't be surprised that many of them don't. My recommendation would be two main principles that I've adapted since coming to college. These principles are: 1. There is not a guarantee that there is a good guy for you on campus, and 2. There is always the outside world and online services to help you meet people (and a new batch of freshmen each year).Another thing that I see people worrying about is the fact that they maybe haven't dated or had sex, and that they're "behind" in a sense from others. I'll be real here, I haven't been on a solid date in my life, and I've been nervous before about guys even trying to flirt with me. However, do I feel "behind" because of it? Heck no! I've learned a lot just by watching others succeed and fail, and while I may be envious of someone's escapades over a weekend, or a couple on campus, it doesn't mean that I should feel bad about where I am. This goes for everyone else too! We're all going to find people at different times, and while the waiting can suck, the payoff of having those first experiences being with someone you care about versus someone you're iffy about is huge. In my mind, there's no reason to be jealous of someone who is moving further along, but with a different mindset than yourself. Just take everything at your own pace, and let things come to you. Trying to accelerate the process won't guarantee results, and it may end up hurting rather than helping.One last thing I'll say: if you need help or advice, look for people in your community or online who understand you and your concerns. Don't find people who are going to try to make you feel bad for feeling nervous or unsure about your situation. It has taken me a really long time to get where I am today with my outlook on dating, relationships, and sexuality, and I still have miles to go. However, I think that with the healthy mindset I'm developing towards the topics, I'm learning more about myself than I ever thought I would.I hope that this is helpful to some of you out there! If you're still in need of advice or just someone to talk to, you're also welcome to send me a PM. I'm more than happy to talk to people and help them out in any way I can. :)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése