2016. június 2., csütörtök

Casual Gay Sex and Overturning the Herpes Stigma

So, I'm aware that safe sex doesn't exist, especially after my 19 year old self lost my virginity on a one-night stand (thank God with a responsible 27 year old in the medical field who'd been tested religiously since he broke up with his ex) and ended up having a full STI panel and a second and third round of HSV/HIV blood tests for certainty. Consequently, my pants have not dropped for anyone since (Blame anxiety and pickiness.)Nevertheless, being 22, gay, and amidst all the fuckboys of my generation, I'm debating the logistics of safer casual sex. I figured so long as I'm getting tested every three months for a full panel, on PrEP, and ensuring anyone I sleep with has either had negative results across a full panel/ is either on suppressive therapy for HSV/medication to manage HIV, I can stop obsessing over my sexual health. But because most bacterial STI's can be cured, HPV can be prevented by vaccination, the main stigmas left are HIV and herpes, the latter of which is just hella ridiculous and the former which can be prevented by using protection and frequent testing/medication.HSV-1 and HSV-2 are nearly identical in composition, and prevalence is 80% for the former. The fact that HIV incidence is on the rise when herpes stigma is by some considered to be worse is even more mind-boggling. Nevertheless, HSV-2 has this big ironic stigma, when no one gives a damn about kissing someone who has had a cold sore sometime throughout their life (only about 1 out of 5 people).TL;DR: So, how can we all move from misinformation and ignorance about herpes to a point where we can continue to have casual sex, be informed about our sexual health, and be honest with others?Also-- This: http://ift.tt/1AqeLym

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése