2016. május 23., hétfő

Family drifting apart Advice needed

Hey there friends,Let me begin with a bit of back story to the situation we're in at the moment...So my brother came out to me 6 years ago during a skype conversation and came out to the rest of our family only 2 years ago.My parents come from a religious upbringing although are pretty open minded and accepting. I too am from a religious upbringing as is my brother but in my teens disgarded any religious allegiance and became agnostic, as did my brother. In the years prior to coming out, my brother started spending less and less time at home and had actually moved in with his partner in a different county (hence the skype call) with out any of us being aware that was what he was doing.We've had our fair share of hurdles to overcome since as a family although I imagine nothing compared to what my brother had to go through growing up, or indeed, coming out to us . The one i'm facing now is that not all of my extended family know that my brother's gay and a few weeks ago my brother got an invitation to our younger cousins birthday and my mother was afraid to ask if my brother could bring his partner too (as all other members of my family who participate in couples were asked to do.) as she is also employed as a childminder by them to mind my cousins whom she loves dearly. My brothers response to this was to state that we as a family cannot deal with him being gay and has cut off contact with all of us since.I read somewhere a while ago that when a family member comes out, the rest of the family are also tasked with a form of coming out to their friends, colleagues or in this case extended family members whereby they tell whoever it may be that they have a gay family member. This i believe is where my brother and our family are having growing pains so to speakNow, I love my brother and want him and his partner to be in our lives as much as possible as we all do. I told my friends with no issue however my parents seem to want to "protect" my brother and probably themselves a bit too from any potential negative/homophobic remarks made in response to the news that my brother is gay. Which i can kind of understand, taking into consideration the time they come from. My brother then views this "protection" and an inability to accept him. which i also get when trying to view things from his perspective.I truly believe my parents aren't trying to be intentionally hurtful to my brother but rather that perhaps both parties are neglecting to recognize there's a learning curve that comes with having a newly "out" son and both parties are giving up on the learning part too quickly.I have absolutely no idea how to resolve the conflict and need advice or perhaps to gain a new perspective on thingsAny help greatly appreciated, Thank Youtl;dr Brother and family not communicating anymore. Brother thinks we cant accept him as gay. Parents claim to be trying to protect him which obviously isn't working. Need help to bring them back together as both want each other in their lives. Just still trying to figure out how to make it work. Thanks.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése