2018. május 26., szombat

Had an unpleasant conversation with a friend the other day

So, yesterday was the final day of Highschool for me. Teachers came in to give us our grades and then promptly left us to our devices. A few friends and I decided to watch a movie on the classroom TV for good ol' times sake.We settled on Clueless and started watching for about an hour or so. Now, to preface this all three of my friends are girls, two of 'em are somewhat religious and I am a gay guy living in Mexico. I have not come out of the closet to any of them.Basically the comment that started it all went something like this: After the scene where Cher and her date (who is actually gay) go to the mall and he steps in to help a girl out who's being harassed by two other guys. "Huh, y'know it's kinda funny how he's brave despite the fact he comes out as gay later in the movie." I'm kinda dumbfounded, since I'm not exactly sure what she's trying to say. But eventually I respond a few seconds later and look over to her. "I mean, just because you're gay that doesn't mean you're automatically a coward." "Yeah, but, y'know. Gay guys are pretty feminine, so you wouldn't imagine one standing up to someone." Now that kinda sends redflags to my less religious friend. "That's a stereotype, isn't it?" I ended up having a mini argument with her over if she thought femininity implied cowardice, and I told her that not all gay guys are feminine to begin with either way. That's where she backtracks and acts like that isn't at all what she meant, since it was obviously a comment on men who are feminine. Things get awkward but we still finish the movie.All that just leaves a sour taste in mouth, and I couldn't look at her the same way the rest of the day. How would you have dealt with it? I'm still feeling awful a day later, and I realised I'm kind of alone in my beliefs around here, except for the few other people who bothered trying to understand.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése