2017. február 17., péntek

Got turned down by a friend and everything seemed ok at first, but now possibly awkward?

So roughly 2 months ago I misread a flirty joke from a work friend I'd been trying to suppress a crush on as possible interest (to be precise, I was talking about how "the main dealbreaker for not dating someone is them not being a guy" and he shot back with "well I'm a guy"), I told him not too long after that I was interested in him but had no hard feelings if he hadn't meant anything serious, he let me down easy and told me he was flattered/impressed but didn't swing that way. That said, it still stung a fair bit, and so did seeing him later that week with his girlfriend (he had mentioned going on a date with a girl several months prior but never brought it up after the fact). Naturally, it felt a bit weird interacting with him for the first few weeks, I was still fairly raw/embarassed from having my hopes built up, but over time it reached more manageable levels.However, in the past month or so, it's seemed as though he's starting to get a bit distant - not really starting conversations unless I do and/or there's nobody else to really talk to, sounding a bit tired/reluctant to continue talking half of the time, etc., and it's generally just been confusing.However, I'm not sure if he really is getting distant or if it's just in my head - it's certainly possible he's just been busy or preoccupied, or that he's picked up on me feeling nervous or awkward when trying to talk with him (there were definitely times when i've forced myself to try and interact normally to try and push through what felt like very palpable weirdness on my part).So what I'm stuck on is "how to go from here" - right now my brain tends to consider these two possibilities: - Talk to him at some point and ask if he's distancing himself/feels off/whatever, since I don't want to be making him more uncomfortable if he really does need space - Keep at it as I have been so far, i.e., attempting to be friendly and normal and hope it eventually works out/that the main source of the awkwardness was in my head all alongThe problem is that if I do talk to him about this and he hasn't been distancing himself, I worry that he'll now have a legitimate reason to feel awkward; meanwhile, if he does feel uncomfortable being around me and I just keep trying the "pretend it didn't happen" approach, I'll just be trying to make myself feel better at his expense.Is there any real right way to go about this? So far I haven't really talked about it with a lot of people - partially because I don't want to inadvertently create any weird drama among this group of friends/coworkers, and partially because I'm just ashamed of having issues about this two months after it happened, not to mention the whole situation that led me to essentially ask him out in the first place. I also haven't brought anything up to this friend about it since asking him initially for similar reasons.I know these types of situations can sometimes just not work out despite best efforts, but I want to at least make sure I've actually put my best effort into this instead of resigning myself to some self-fulfilling prophecy.tl;dr, Asked a work friend out, turns out he's straight, things seemed like they were heading in a positive direction at first but now he might be drifting off. Or I'm overanalyzing. Either way, is there a way to best deal with this without making things worse?

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése