2017. február 28., kedd

The Outcast: Gay Bars & Clubs

Back story: I'm a 24y male student who never label himself, but if you asked, I would tell you that I date both men and women (more men than women). I'm fairly popular on campus and somewhat of local celebrity in the big city (I was the college event planner/coordinator and dabbled with fashion shows and reality television). I'm an avid bar and club go-er, and with fame and popularity comes hordes of friends and admirers.I never felt welcomed in the gay community and I don't know why. I even volunteered to help the community by using my influence as a platform but still I always felt judged and uncomfortable around them. They always made me feel like they don't like me without even knowing me you know? Despite of the stories I've heard that many in gay culture can be "cunts," backstabbing, and superficial, I still wanted to help.That's one of the main reasons I rarely go to gay clubs or bars by myself. I get the same feeling there, like I'm not attractive enough for them so I rarely attend unless I'm invited by a friend, which is usually a female friend or a group of my straight buds who bar hop. Don't get me wrong, I love gay bars and clubs. I have a blast everytime I go with friends, but by myself? I usually pass by since I work near them, buy a drink since they're cheap, leave and be about my way. I feel like that one lonely straight guy at a gay bar.I'm sure the gay community in my city don't know who I am because I never got involved with them. I have hosted LGBTQ events on campus and they were always successful, but never did a large scale LGBTQ event because I needed to work with the community.I just find it strange because I fare WAY better at a regular bar. I feel totally comfortable by myself and more so with my friends. As opposed to a gay bar, I surprisingly get more attention from straight men at these bars than the gays (which I'm still confused about till this day). Straight men at the bars give me more conversation, buy me drinks and of course, there's many who compliments on how attractive I am and how nice of a butt I have. But at the gay bars and clubs? None of that, maybe an old creep or two. I'm not complaining, I just wanted to state how weird and different of an experience I have at gay and regular bars.My friends are even more odd. I have a group of male friends who I occasionally hang out with (about 10 or so) and they're all heterosexual, most have girlfriends. I hug all of them and some of them even greet me with a kiss. They're supportive and super defensive of me. I feel blessed to have them as friends, and we're always so comfortable around each other. They're my brothers.Has any one else have negative experiences with gay club/gars? I know some people can be super shallow if they think they're unattractive. I find that kind of superficial thinking repulsive. I'm compassionate and all accepting and would never treat someone of the community that negatively. The only time I reject someone is when they come on to me like a creep or have obvious intentions other than getting to know me.It's probably just my city. I'm moving soon so hopefully I will have different experiences.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése