2015. január 29., csütörtök

Career or Kids... Pick 1


From a young age I knew I would be CF. I put myself though college, got my degree and look forward to a successful career without parental distraction. I do not understand women who think they can have a successful fulfilling career AND kids. IMO one, the other or both suffer. Your kids suffer if you dedicate too much time to your work. They grow up in day care and are raised by strangers. Your career suffers because you are unreliable, having to leave work at the drop of a hat when daycare calls, or my personal favorite, the WORK FROM HOME because my kid is sick and daycare won't take them. HOW do you WORK a full and productive day at home, while you are taking care of a sick kid? (I digress) Both suffer when you miss just enough work, or become just unreliable enough at work AND your kid still spends most of their day in daycare. My coworker turns on the water works every single year when promotions are announced and she doesn't get one. Our manager is an older gay man that has a soft spot for her kids, so I am really surprised this hasn't worked yet, other then the fact she is paid 35%+ more then me, for a job he has admitted she is over paid to do. This is the same woman who was out on Maternity leave for 6 months, and missed 27 work days over the next 4 months due to the sickest kid I have ever known. I am the only other member of the team and I was able to cover her job while she was out Maternity leave and all. She is unreliable, texts her family overseas all day at work, and does NOTHING above her job description to align herself with that promotion she so desperately THINKS she DESERVES. She recently went on a 4 week vacation to the Philippines with her now 15 month old and 4-year old kids (and husband). She took a kid with the world's worst immune system to a 3rd world country. SURPRISE - the 15 month old (and the dad) got SICK. REALLY SICK. She missed the 3 weeks following their 4 week vacay. Now, I don't wish sickness like that on anyone, but wtf? Ray Charles could see taking that kid to that kind of country was a bad idea. I was a little short with her while she was "working" from home, she attempted to make me feel guilty for confronting her with what was going on at work. Our boss let her WFH, which he NEVER has done before, but now that the dam has been breached, it is happening more and more.


How do I approach this with my boss? He is emotionally invested in her kids (he cried when she told him how sick the kid was) and I am unsure if he is willing to see where I am coming from. To me it is simple business, but I fear I will rock the boat if I voice my complaint.


TL;DR My coworker gets paid a lot to do a little, I get paid a little to pick up her slack and need advice.



Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése