2015. január 31., szombat

Is noticing that certain class/ethnicity combinations tend to be more homophobic problematic?


Quick background: I live in a very liberal area, and I work at a company that has a lot of blue collar manufacturing workers, with a large Hispanic population. I've worked in factories and the like for over a decade, and I grew up in the south with all the racial divides that implies, and I try really hard to learn from PoC and anyone else who faces discrimination that I don't.


I'm also gay (and female), and a coworker called someone a f****t in front of me yesterday at work, and when I confronted him about it, he dismissed me and was rude. I talked to my bosses, who are great and are dealing with it, but then after I left work yesterday I received an anonymous email (the name attached to it wasn't anyone who actually works there, so it's a shill account) saying "I overheard you don't like the word f----t if so leave your not wanted". (Except of course they spelled it out, and misspelled it with one G) I forwarded that to my boss as well, and he's really upset and apologetic...


But I just noted to a friend that I feel disappointed that this is happening based on where we live, but I guess I should still expect it to some degree from blue collar straight cis men anywhere, and my friend pointed out that they also come from a fairly traditional, religious culture, being Hispanic...


Annnnnd then we realized that what we were saying was probably problematic, and I'd just like some discussion about it.


I really don't want to be That Asshole...but I also feel really vulnerable right now. I feel like my bosses will do their best to take care of it, that they won't stand for it, but I also feel really aware that the guy I confronted yesterday has a lot of friends, so even if he gets in trouble, there will be this whole faction of people angry at me, and I'm kind of worried that I'm facing down months of tiny microaggressions that aren't anything I can quite pinpoint or go to management about.



Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése