2018. március 30., péntek

My first experience in the gay community went horribly wrong and it's all my fault

Slight rant incoming, but I felt like I needed to get this off my chest.So, I am currently a senior in college and I just started my final quarter this week. After my first class, I found a group of students recruiting for a social fraternity for gay men that I started to take interest in. I had realized I was gay about two years ago, but had never really involved myself with the gay community on campus, as I am very introverted. So, I decided that now I should try and get involved before I graduate and started hanging out with the members of this frat attending their recruiting events. Everything was going so well, I was getting along well with everyone and was having a lot of fun. I truly felt like I belonged and was excited to hang out with these people.Fast forward to Thursday night when we out for bowling. Apparently I had started to get clingy to some other people by following certain members around and getting into their personal space. I was not trying to make sexual advances or anything, but apparently it did make people uncomfortable, though I did not know this at the time. As this was the first time I had ever been involved in this kind of group, combined with the fact that I'm a huge introvert, I was incredibly socially awkward and didn't know how to act properly.To make things worse, I was also getting somewhat angry during bowling as I kept getting gutterballs(I'm really bad at it.) I have had a history of sometimes being a poor sport with some games, and my ADHD has made me prone to occasionally having loud outbursts when I'm angry, though these have been getting less frequent as I grow older. Usually these outbursts have culminated in me teasing myself for "losing." Thankfully, some other members helped me improve my game in the second half, but apparently they were still concerned about my behavior.Today, Friday, is when things finally came crashing down. Tonight there was supposed to be a game night that I was absolutely planning on attending. However, when I woke up this morning I received a text informing me not to come to anymore events, and not to hang out with them at their table. Apparently my actions the previous night had made others feel uncomfortable, to the point where they said they would not attend if I was there. I messaged the group back saying I was sorry and that I didn't mean to make others feel uncomfortable, and that I would like a second chance to redeem myself. Unfortunately, they said that while they were sympathetic to my feelings, they could not reverse the decision and that it would be best for the group if I didn't show up anymore.So now I'm sitting here, depressed as hell, knowing that I had fucked up big time. I finally had an opportunity to join the gay community on campus before I graduate, and I blew it, all thanks to my social awkwardness. I had made such good friends this week, and it felt like I was finally coming out of my shell. Now I'm likely never going to see any of these people ever again, and I'm back to being all alone in the closet. I just wanted to be part of community I could personally relate to, but now I don't know what to do. I don't know of other groups on campus, and if there were I'm sure members of the group I got barred from are probably involved somehow and probably don't wish to speak to me. I'm just really turned off now from getting myself involved in the community again after these events. I really wish I could just turn back the clock and prevent me from doing the awkward shit last night. Now I don't know what to do. I'm back to being a lonely college student with no real friends, and now I'm just heartbroken. All because of my lack of proper social skills. I hate myself right now.TL;DR: I started hanging out with a gay frat in my final quarter at college, hopjng to join and make new friends. Ended up unintentionally making people uncomfortable at bowling night and now have been barred from attending further events. Now I'm back to being lonely and sad.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése