2016. január 30., szombat

My coming out story

Forewarning, this is a long post and there isn't a tl;dr since it really can't be shortly summarised :)I've seen a few posts before about this so going to share mine as well :) before I start, I came out almost two years ago to my family and just over that to my close friends.So, I met my bf online (3 years ago) while I was at uni and curious. It took a while to let things settle in for me and after a year I realised that it wasn't a temporary thing - I loved the man and was gay. At the time I lived with my family, so I didn't tell them since I was aware that their opinions (particularly my dad's) were not all that positive. After I graduated and moved out, I met my bf (who had moved abroad for work) for a week and by the time I came back, I felt that I was ready to tell my family that I was gay.So, I waited until my dad had left house to break the news to my mum, who I thought would be more amenable to the news. She was silent for a long while after I said that I'd met a guy and was gay, and unfortunately my dad walked back in too early, meaning that I had to tell him as well. After some awkward silence and attempts to ask them if they wanted to ask me anything, I left them to talk to themselves.A few hours later, my mum came up to talk to me. She said that it was a shock, and it would take them time. I was ready for that - I knew it would take time. But then she said that my dad had described it as if "a son had just died". Long story short, I left the house that evening in tears shortly after that, and ended up at my best friends house with a strong cup of tea (yes, I'm English) to calm down.The following half year that followed was very uncomfortable, with my dad refusing to acknowledge my presence when I visited and, after some time, my mum making an effort to be supportive and even (to my extreme surprise) volunteering to meet the man who had changed my life.Now, it will be almost two years since I told my parents about me, and things have improved a lot. My mum has now met my bf a few times and often asks me how he is doing, and has really made an effort to be accepting. My dad took a long time before he would even look me in the eye, but he does talk to me now and is willing to help out with day to day things when I'm over. He still will not permit my bf to be in the house, but since I have my own place I'm not so worried about this, but it's a shame that he still hasn't fully accepted (nor, I suspect, ever will fully accept) my life choice in the regard.So, that's my story. Sorry it's so long, but thank you very much for reading this far :) I think that my advice for anyone wishing to come out is that even if it seems like your family won't take it well, time helps so much because they can see you are the same person as before, just that it is your life to live as makes you happy, and at some point they have to accept you for who you are.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése