2017. július 31., hétfő

Opening Doors For Others.

So my entire life has been a journey, and the ones who have truly gone through it as well has been my family. This year marks my first year anniversary of being married to my husband. While the journey here has been very long, the process of seeing my family go through with it is something else. I think my being out to my family (and extended family) has truly made them reflect on who they are and how they see/interact with other LGBT people in their own life. Something I just found out that seems courageous is that my cousin just came out as well. She is going through the same ups and downs. My aunt is in shock and feel that she is in loving company. Her concern is on how people will react and what they will say. My mother offered the best advice, if you love her you will support her. You will be there for her and if they can't appreciate how great of person she is, it's their loss. My husband and I couldn't have been luckier. We're 19 years apart. I'm a millennial, 28, and he's from Generation X at 47. We are supportive of each others actions and have gotten paperwork ready for adoption. I just hope we can find a big enough house and the right career for me to be there with my family. I love teaching, but sometimes it does take away time from my family. In a weird way, I guess our marriage opened the door for others in my family to have a conversation on this. Being Latino is not easy. I think fighting that machismo characteristic among others has created a new tide of change. Just sharing.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése