2015. február 1., vasárnap

A little help from legal minds. Freedom of Religion vs. Anti Discrimination. PART TWO: perspective of the Discriminated Against


So I have two discussions to set up. The one below is from the discriminated against's perspective, in a separate post I deal with the discriminator's perspective. For the purposes of this discussion let's assume we're in a state that has passed an LGBT anti-discrimination bill (like New Mexico).


DISCRIMINATED AGAINST's PERSPECTIVE:


Suppose I'm a good Mormon man. I walk into a restaurant and sit down to eat. The owner is a virulent opponent of the church based on his Baptist upbringing. He knows I'm Mormon. He refuses the serve me because I'm Mormon. He is doing it out of deeply held religious beliefs. Is he in legal trouble?


Suppose I'm a black man. I walk into a restaurant and sit down to eat. The owner is a strong believing member in a fundamentalist religion that teaches the races should not mix or mingle. Based on his religious beliefs he refuses to serve me. Is he in legal trouble?


Suppose I am a gay man. I walk into a restaurant with my gay spouse and sit down to eat. The owner is a strong member of the Mormon faith. He refuses to serve me based on his strong religious convictions against same sex marriage. (I guess the owner somehow knows we're a gay married couple). Is he in legal trouble?



Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése