2015. február 27., péntek

Promise I'm not one of those people who sees injustice everywhere they look, but does the community seem to like pretty white queens best?


It's just something I've sort of noticed recently, maybe because we're at the very beginning of a new season. Sometimes it seems like the gay community likes queens of color or size but goes absolutely bat-shit crazy over pretty-looking caucasian queens. So this season, it's LOVE LOVE LOVE for Miss Fame, Pearl, Violet, and Katya. Some adoration for Trixie and Max. And the rest are appreciated for their contributions, and certainly celebrated when they do something notable, but they're just not looked upon the same way. Older queens, black queens, plus-sized queens, Latina queens, Asian queens. We like them, but we aren't rabid about it like we are with the pretty white queens.


Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying everyone's racist or ageist or size-ist. I'm just wondering if anyone else has felt this, and if so, why do you think it happens?


Also must be noted: there are plenty of Drag Race queens of different colors, shapes, and sizes who we LOVE after they've been on the show. And there are examples of queens who've won Drag Race without being a fishy, bodylicious, caucasian queen. But I feel like we grew to love them over time.


This isn't a waterproof argument. It's just something I think I can see from the corner of my eye. And if it's real, it makes me worried. I don't want the same thing that sometimes happens in the gay community (valuing attractive, white, and masculine above all else) to happen in the drag world (valuing attractive, white, and feminine above all else).



Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése