2015. április 24., péntek

How can we as a movement bring about more effective change?

I think we need to have a discussion on more things we could be doing as a community and as a movement.Our progress through the courts is commendable and what advances we have made is incredible, but we are doing exactly what Dr. King was told to do by the white moderates during his era of the civil rights movement. In his activism, he led marches and put the active in activism. As a response, he was told to go through the courts and work justice out that way. Well, we as a community and as a movement are working our justice that way. I'd propose that we, as a community, and as an activist movement, do more active activism.We are seeing the cropping up of laws that can be argued to be the next round of our Jim Crow laws, such as in Indiana, with their religious freedom law, and Oklahoma, with its law to require religious officials to sign off on marriage certificates to be legal, and more laws in several other states either already in existence, or on the way to fruition.We also like to criticize "keyboard warriors", or whatever they would be called, for only being activists on the computer, yet in the face of these laws, I've seen little more than moral support. If you could prove me wrong on that, I'd love that, but I see what I see. We need to get people in there and actually organize protests and marches and sit-ins of these places that would deny us our equal rights.I understand this is not as easy to do as I would make it seem here. I know that this is a large thing to discuss, but damn it when even our own community doesn't know what it means to have pride anymore and we sit back and think ourselves victorious, the ground we have taken begins to slip from us. And we can't afford that.What can we do to change this? How can we effect quicker change and an effective response from the government? How can we organize and do more than fliers and parades once a year? That's what I think we need to discuss.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése