2015. április 28., kedd

Meeting Gay Friends in New City (new college graduate)

So I guess I was wondering how one integrates into the DC gay community or the gay community in a new city in general (general advice not pertaining to DC specifically would also be very welcome! :) ). DC seems to have this dynamic of having a pretty large gay population while still being pretty connected - most gay guys seem to know each other at least tangentially.However, obviously the overwhelming majority are not DC natives and from what I can tell, most gay young professionals moved to DC right after (or soon after) college for job/career purposes. So obviously, just about every gay guy starts "outside" the DC gay community (in the sense that they don't have gay friends in the city yet) and then somehow integrates in.I am honestly unsure about how to do this. I had zero trouble making lots of friends in college. Between dorm living, classes, and friends of friends, I was pretty much handed potential new friends all the time.There are lots of gay bars and clubs in DC. However, I haven't found them to be very conducive to making friends with other young professionals. It seems to be a lot more about drinking with friends you already have and only really branching out to find a hookup (which I mean I guess that's the point haha).The other advice I've regularly seen is to join an LGBT organization like gay kickball or a local social group. The sports groups seem pretty friendly but I am pretty terrible/not really interested in playing sports at all. (skinny twink here haha). My interests are largely current events, cultural, or academic. My straight friends and I mostly just chat and socialize over food and drinks, or explore events in DC - we don't really do a lot of planned activities per se other than enjoy each others company. I'm kind of looking for something like this with gay guys.I've also tried a couple of the LGBT social groups in the area. Maybe I just picked the wrong ones; but most people seemed very socially maladjusted and came off as very desperate/fake in trying to make friends (not trying to be harsh but this is how I felt). I have lots of straight friends (sadly they don't seem to have other gay friends besides me haha) and socialize quite a bit - so the over-eager desperation really just turned me off to being friends with the guys I met in the social groups. I guess because I'm not alone and in need of friends; but more just looking to expand my existing social circle to include some other gay guys who I can hang out with/be friends with.A lot of social groups tended to focus on video games and stuff which I'm not so much into and definitely would not understand 90% of whats going on anyway. Not to knock anyone; but it's really not my thing at all and would definitely not fit in there very well.Does anyone who moved to a new city (especially DC) have any advice on how to meet sociable, outgoing young professional type gay guys who want to go out and have fun?tldr; Trying to figure out how to make some gay friends in DC (or just any big city in general). I have straight friends but I'm their only gay friend so I can't really network through them. The lgbt social groups in the area were full of pretty fake/desperate people. Anyone have any other ideas on how to go about making other "have-their-shit-together" young professional gay friends?

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése