2015. május 22., péntek

How do you think my mom would react if i came out?

Several months ago, when my brother make a remark that two men dating is weird, my mom countered that by saying there is nothing wrong with gay couples and whatever they like.Several days ago, i set up a new wireless router for my family (I am the most tech savvy person in the family). Once i got it set up, my mom gave me her Kindle and laptop to set up the new network on. Browsing through her Kindle to find out where to go to connect her Kindle to the internet, i saw a book with two men kissing on the cover, and i find out that every book on there is a gay romance book.With what i have just wrote, it sounds like she is very supportive of gay people. However, she has said homophobic things in the past. One of things she said five years ago was "Gay people choose to be gay to rebel against their parents". She is also from a religious family, but she hasn't went to church in a very long time with the exception of weddings or funerals. She still identifies as a Christian but never really does anything religious. Her political views are for the most part Conservative. She has supported Republican candidates in the past, but recently she has said that neither candidate is better than the other in reference to recent elections.Last year she has said that it is hypocritical of some people to pick and choose which parts of the Bible to follow. This was in reference to Baptists being against drinking and having laws in some counties where it is illegal to sell alcohol (dry counties). My family is mostly Catholic btw. I am not sure if she may have also referred to gay people when she said that.Now for some information about me. I am 20 years old, i am one class away from graduating from community college, and then i will transfer to a university. I have known that i am gay since i was 14, and i first told someone that i am gay last year and have since told a few friends. I live in rural Kentucky as well.I feel like my mom will probably accept me if i come out, but i do worry that her past homophobia could reappear if i come out. I doubt that she will kick me out, but if she does, i have enough money put away to last me long enough to get on my feet. I am also going to be receiving scholarship money that i have earned by maintaining a high GPA when i transfer ($4,000 a semester). I feel like I am ready to be openly gay, and tired of being in the closet. Sorry this is such a long read. Any advice is welcomed.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése