2015. június 23., kedd

Ideas for a college GSA/LGBTA group?

You can skip down to the numbers if the beginning rambling is too much to read.I was involved in GSA a little bit in high school - I went every single week when I was in 10th grade and closeted, but my depression got really bad in 11th and I stopped, and then in 12th I was getting better but also in the process of coming out as trans. So that year I stopped partially because the kids were almost entirely 9th graders, but also everyone their misgendered me even though we stated pronouns to begin with, and a lot of my mental health issues that make speaking up difficult haven't been resolved so I stopped going.So to say, in short: My high school experience with GSA was incredibly weak. Even when I was involved, it was very centered on like...gay bake sales, and our president was very against it just purely being a safe space, it had to be all business, all the time. But "business" wasn't activism either, just making t-shirts that said "SWAG = Secretly We Are Gay".My college's GSA has apparently kind of disintegrated, and I'm starting this fall, so I'd like to build it up. The ideas I have basically fall under three categories, I think?Activism, either in the form of advocating for gender-neutral bathrooms, or trying to make the school more educated with workshop-like events.Within-school safe space events - just having it be a place to be, to vent about parents, to vent about rude peers, where everyone's pronouns are respected, etc. My old GSA did a lot of silly ice breaker activities that I didn't hate, and since we were all pretty comfy with each other, we'd ding karaoke a lot too. It was just calm, a get away, and I definitely find importance in that.Non-alcoholic, non-sexual, outside of school meetups. So you know like, a gay bar, but like, gay coffee night at Starbucks, or whatever.These are all fine bases for things, but I need ideas. Have any of you ever tried to have a workshop like that? What would it entail exactly, booths? People talking on stage with a microphone? Different kids sitting at desks and talking? Talking about what then? I have so much I could say but being cohesive and organized can be difficult. I have literally zero idea. Does a gay coffee night sound dumb? The idea of going somewhere where I'm not afraid to be misgendered sounds so appealing to me, but maybe other people don't feel the same need to connect to other queer folks?I was also thinking we could have a queer-specific book club sort of things, to sift through books and try and find good ones?Oh, and I'm a bisexual trans man, if that matters any?

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése